Guidance on remuneration of experts
Revised guidance on expert witnesses from the Legal Aid Agency.
On 5 September 2014 the Legal Aid Agency (LAA) published revised guidance about expert witnesses in cases funded by legal aid. The guidance, which can be found by browsing to www.gov.uk/expert-witnesses-in-legal-aid-cases, covers matters such as:
- maximum rates for different types of expert witness
- how to apply for prior authority, including benchmarks for working ‘unusual’ hours
- expert activity time guidelines
- expert witness standards in family matters, and
- arrangements for specific expert types, including independent social workers, experts in risk assessment, drug and alcohol testing and DNA testing.
The LAA also offers guidance on forensic science laboratory charges in criminal cases, together with fee guides for clinical negligence experts and risk assessment experts.